Filling my day and emptying my head

Read my thoughts, and about my day(s). I make no guarantees, but I may have interesting things to share or I may bore you to tears. Its a gamble :-) Sit back and Enjoy, I hope. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Got Game?

I apparently did yesterday, on so many levels.

First, Spiked punch beat or rather slaughtered the #1 ranked team in our division 3-0. We were on FIRE! Twas seriously a great game. And I even found out this morning by an anonymous (Tim) text that Carlos thinks my game has improved a lot and really likes me. What a change from last season when I didn’t even want to speak to him and had to really try to restrain myself from inflicting bodily harm.

Now before that I thought my day was going to be a bad day because it didn’t start off right.

First if all it was Monday, and I had to go to Da Bronx for a conference.
Now, the upshot of the Bronx is that I get to drive. Not much of a fan of the train in a suit/heels/stockings.
So I get to court and of course my case is not on the calendar. I remember having this issue that last time, that its listed under a different name for some reason. So I look it up by the law firm name instead of client. Nothing.
I go to the clerks offices and explain the predicament. She tells me its on the calendar on the computer but she will chambers to make sure.
Comes back, its there, but under the other name. Gives me the name and sends me on my way.
Now trip #2 to court a little better. I find the other name on the calendar, so at least I am in the right spot. But lo and behold no Plaintiffs counsel is listed. Normally this is not a problem, you either a) tell the clerk and they correct it or b) file a notice of appearance and get put on. But I was here to settle so if I wasn’t in the computer then they wouldn’t be settling with me, and this was a case against the City of New York. (What a fun bureaucracy).
So I signed in as usual. When I got called in, I explained to the judge how I wasn’t on the calendar, but thankfully everyone had me down as appearing on the last conference, the money was still on the table and I took it. Now here is where it got really fun. I was one of 4 Plaintiffs, but I only represented one. So I had no idea where they others were nor, did I have any way of knowing if they had settled or not. Last time, I didn’t even know there was 4th Plaintiff so we almost didn’t wait for them. They were so late. I remembered that also.
So I went to call the other two attorneys, and BOTH phone numbers are out of service!
I go and tell Andy the Ox of a clerk and he just laughs at me. Seriously laughing. He ships me off the Al the legal secretary, because, and I quote, “ I just don’t have time for this S!@# so early on a Monday” Al listens to the story and laughs. When he asks me why I think this happens I answer, “I think it was consolidated incorrectly” (consolidating a case is where you take two cases with the same Plaintiffs and different index numbers and kick out the useless people and make it one index number) what happened to me, was they consolidated, as per our order, but took us out, left the people who are no longer in it in, changed the name and used the incorrect index number.

All this means was that I was about to run around the Bronx Courthouse. And all I wanted to do was settle.

I go back in tot talk to the City. They tell me, that the computer issue doesn’t concern them, the problem is where the other people are. Apparently sine they filed the claim together the city cannot partially settle a case, so because I cant find these other people and they didn’t settle I am screwed.

Now Al, still laughing feels for lil LI lawyer girl. So he tries to help. We call Bill the head clerk. Upon hearing the story and looking the computer he says, “Ooops” at least I wasn’t wrong or insane. They messed up. So he says its not a prob when I settle they will just put it in the comments.
I tell this to Andy, who says “I have no idea what in the hell Bill is talking about, go and talk to him” I think he sees that I am just so confused and annoyed he calls Bill to pave the way and this is what I hear,” Yeah Bill it’s Andy, I am sending the hot LI girl to you. No not for that, yeah she’s hott, No, she’s wearing a cat suit and says if you don’t do what she asks she’s going to spank you.” Then I get asked how old I am, “She’s 26, she’s half your age be nice when the girl comes over” Of course this mild sexual harassment, but after my morning all I can do is laugh and smile. I mean he did call me Hot right?
So I guess I got a lil game.

In the end I settled, I was put back on the case then taken off and I didn’t get back to the office till 12. Not a bad morning.

Now I am not feeling well. Probably a cross between lack of sleep, stress and the weather. I am coming down with one of my famous sinus things. So I decide on the way to Volleyball to get me one of my cure-all Strabucks drinks. [For those of you keeping track, in sickness it’s a Venti wild sweet orange tea (2 tea bags) 1 splenda, doubled cupped and in a sleeve]
It really works for me.

So the drive through guy (yes I am THAT lazy) has a whole conversation with me during my order. It was really nice an sweet, (can they see you through those things?) SO that was my game #2.

All in all a pretty good Monday, considering I had a crappy Sunday.
Lets see what the rest of the week brings…

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger SusQHB said...

My little lawyer! I'm shepping nachas. I woulda barfed on the clerks shoes if he told me I wasn't on the docket. And I loooovvvee their Orange Tea! Best thing in the store. Other than the Caramel Light Frap, but that gives me a tummy ache.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home