Filling my day and emptying my head

Read my thoughts, and about my day(s). I make no guarantees, but I may have interesting things to share or I may bore you to tears. Its a gamble :-) Sit back and Enjoy, I hope. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Monday, October 16, 2006

The Heights

Not the TV show.. although I did like it and still enjoy the theme song. But that is for a different discussion. Perhaps 90’s shows that weren’t? Discuss.

So this weekend was one of social holidays of the year. Most singles leave their homes and travel to ‘that place’. Or if they are fortunate enough to live in ‘that place’ their apartments become dorms. People sleeping everywhere they can, on any surface; If sleep actually occurs. More often than not, its just a place to keep your stuff, get out of the cold and change clothes for one of the bazillion changes that are required for females. [yeah guys- suits and flats are easy, and DO NOT get me started on stockings, tights and pantyhose]

So I have been making this trek since I came back from Israel. Or for the past 7 years. And you know what, it has never been my cup of tea. Not my scene, and frankly, with the exception of last year (which can be argued that would have happened anyway) I have never really gotten anything out of it. Back in the day when I had a lot of real friends who lived there it wasn’t bad. But the past few years has been so-so. So, I made a change.

I went to the heights.
Now comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Other than the perfunctory prayers which everyone says. Not one thing was the same. (Maybe the weather.. but again that’s a G-d thing)

The heights had maybe 200 people total there. As opposed to the at least 1,000 that “the place” gets.
Next there was no congregating outside of buildings etc.. In fact during one late night trek to acquire certain plumbing instruments (I will allow Ray to share what she wishes on that subject) we saw maybe 10 people. And two were a married couple, and the rest were on their way home. QUIETLY. Needles to say neither group had the item we were seeking… guess what’s going in the shalach manot :-).

The drunkenness was at a minimum if at all. And when it was, it was necessary and in moderation. [5 shots is moderate!]

Now the dancing… While definitely from the heart and with good spirit and intention lacked something. I can not put my finger on it… but something.

However the meals.. no comparison. First, I actually knew my hosts, their apartment and the kitchen. I was comfortable. Even if I didn’t know every single person at the meal. Which is saying a lot. I hate feeling like I was an addition or a tag along.

Lastly the camaraderie. My friends live in the following locations (In New York) The heights, Five Towns and Riverdale) That doesn’t mean I don’t know people other places. I do. But as Ray pointed out, they are not what I would describe as friends (No offense Benjy, but I cant sleep in your apt…)

So all in all twas the right choice for me.

As for next year, who knows what it will bring…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home