Filling my day and emptying my head

Read my thoughts, and about my day(s). I make no guarantees, but I may have interesting things to share or I may bore you to tears. Its a gamble :-) Sit back and Enjoy, I hope. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Monday, March 13, 2006

15K

My 15k
Yesterday, I ran my first ever 15k. (That’s 9.3 Miles for the metrically challenged) I was running with my mate Cara.
Sat night the BF (bestest ever) treated me to pasta and I have to say I think it really made all the difference in my run.
The last official race I ran was back in October? And it was a mere 5 miles. Let me tell you I did ok on that one (avg 10 min mile) but after I was broken.
So this was scary for me. I attempted to train, since my ultimate goal is a marathon. I did ok. I ran three times the week before and I had wanted to do 6 miles at once, but the most I got was 4. So going in I was nervous.
Cara picked me up. The second she turned into my driveway it began to rain. The news said it wasn’t supposed to rain till noon, so we were hoping it was early and would stop by race time.
We found our special spot and got ready to go. On the way we met our other friends, Jeanine and Stephanie. It was cold, so Jeanine lent me her zip up because they had run the 4 mile before and were done. We would meet them later. Little did I know that I would be forever grateful for that meeting.
We were not so lucky. It was sprinkling at the start, Not bad at all and I would have been happy had it stayed that way.
It was not to be. It pretty much rained the whole time. I think around mile 4-6 it wasn’t that bad. But mile 7, SOAKING. My skirt (yes I run in a skirt) was two different colors and I could ring out my clothing. The rain soaked through my 4 layers of shirts. It was crazy.
But the important thing was that I finished. And I am happy with my time. 1:47 approx. It’s a 11:33 min mile. With the distance and the rain I am pleased.
I have a lovely souvenir from this race. I know its gross, but because my shoes and socks were soaking wet I got these HUGE blisters on my arches. Soooooooooo painful and gross.

After the race Cara was prepared. We had dry shirts and I borrowed some dry pants, since a wet skirt is about as comfortable as wet jeans (So I have been told)
Then we grabbed some hot choclate and were on our way home.

All in all not a bad way to spend Sunday.

My next race is April 2. Its only 6.2 miles, Piece of cake ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home